The main goal of researches conducted on the basis of ISEI BSU is to improve the environment condition and reduce the negative impact of human activities on public health by reducing the pollution of different ecosystem components (water, air, soil, plants, etc.). The solution of these problems is provided by integrated study and overcoming the present environmental challenges by the scientific departments of the Institute.
The Institute has Transfer Center of Renewable Energy Technologies and six research laboratories:
- Laboratory of General and Experimental Biology;
- Laboratory of Environmental Management;
- Laboratory of Environmental Monitoring;
- Laboratory of Environmental Microbiology and Immunology;
- Laboratory of Molecular Markers of Environmental Exposure;
- Laboratory of Radiation Biochemistry and Biophysics.
INIS National Center is functioning on the basis of ISEI BSU. INIS is a leading international information system in the field of peaceful use of nuclear energy. The scope of scientific directions of INIS includes biological sciences and environmental sciences; isotopes, use of isotopes and radiation; engineering and technology; other aspects of nuclear and non-nuclear energy; physics; chemistry, materials and Earth sciences.
In 2006 according to the Agreement of cooperation between ISEI BSU and Great Lakes Center for Occupational and Environmental Safety and Health, the International Scientific and Methodological Center of Anthropology and Public Health was created.
- Development of methods and tools for environmental monitoring, environmental safety control, comprehensive assessment of the condition of the ecosystem and human health;
- Development of new methods of laboratory and molecular medicine in the field of medical and environmental monitoring;
- Development of methods of environmental analysis based on modern information technologies;
- Development of theoretical and methodological foundations of complex use of environmental top-priority energy sources, environmentally friendly materials;
- Development, improvement and implementation of the concept of higher and postgraduate environmental education in the Republic of Belarus.
In order to develop students’ scientific research at the Institute, Student Scientific Community was created with main goal of promoting the work of Institute in the sphere of improvement of the quality of training of qualified personnel in the field of ecology, creating conditions for a comprehensive and complete development of the creative and scientific potential of students.
- A new photochemical method for the quantitative determination of folates in different environments (the patent of the Republic of Belarus for the invention “Method for the quantitative determination of folates”);
- Specifications for placing the measuring complex “Expert beta gamma SICH” designed for high accuracy lifetime measurement of the activity of beta-emitting radionuclides, primarily Sr-90, as well as gamma-emitting radionuclides: Cs-134, Cs-137, K-40, I-131, I-133 etc. that are incorporated in the human body;
- Method of measurement of the mass fraction of chemical elements of bromine, iron, potassium, calcium, copper, nickel, lead, sulfur, strontium, chlorine, chromium, zinc in biological objects (hair) using X-ray fluorescence method with X-ray energy spectrometer CEP-01.
- Measurement procedure for mass fraction of chemical elements of barium, iron, cadmium, potassium, calcium, cobalt, manganese, copper, nickel, lead, sulfur, strontium, antimony, titanium, chlorine, chromium, zinc, zirconium in the soil and bottom sediments by X-ray fluorescence method using X-rays spectrometer CEP-01;
- The methods of synthesis of Fab-, F(ab)2 and Fc-fragments of IgG with use of protease enzymes (papain and pepsin). On the basis of blood serum of patients with autoimmune thyroiditis and 1 type diabetes we obtained preparations containing Fab-, F(ab)2 and Fc — fragments of IgG. To identify the groups of high risk of 1 type diabetes it is suggested to use the evaluation of cellular immune response of lymphocytes to specific autoantigen GAD in the presence of IL-1;
- The first demonstration laboratory in the field of renewable energy sources in the Republic of Belarus. The laboratory is designed for practical training of students on specialization «Renewable Energy Resources» and retraining of technical personnel of small and medium business and agriculture. The laboratory is equipped with tolls and equipment on the following priority areas: solar energy for heating; solar energy for photo electricity; passive use of solar energy; gasification of wood; hydrogen energy; water power; wind power; Cobra system; pyranometer.
- Standard methods of analysis of the potential of renewable energy sources and the assessment of their use for territorial and economic units of different levels of Belarus.